Riding Areas & Trails


1. Yuba Pass south side of Highway 49, at Yuba Pass, in Sierra County. Snowmobile trails both north and south side of highway. Call USFS (530) 994-3401.

2. Yuba Gap — No snowmobiles.

4. Blackwood Canyon west side of Highway 89, three miles south of Tahoe City, in Placer County. Snowmobile trails. Call USFS (530) 573-2600.

5. Taylor Creek west side of Highway 89, just north of Camp Richardson, in El Dorado County. Limited snowmobiling and snow playing. Call USFS (530) 573-2600.

6. Echo Lake — No snowmobiles.

7. Hope Valley — Blue Lakes south side of Highway 88 at Blue Lakes Road, 5 miles east of Carson Pass and two miles west of Picketts Junction (Hwys 88 and 89), in Alpine County. Snowmobile trails and limited snow play. Overnight parking limited. Call USFS (775) 884-8101.

8. Carson Pass — No snowmobiles.

9. Meiss Meadow — No snowmobiles.

10. Iron Mountain north side of Highway 88, 40 miles east of Jackson at the Mormon-Emigrant Trail
Road, in El Dorado County. Extensive snowmobile trails. Call USFS (209) 295-4251.

11. Lake Alpine at winter closure gate on Highway 4, just past turn off to Mt. Reba Ski Area, in Alpine County. SNO-PARK site is about 55 miles east of Angels Camp. Snowmobiling trails and snow play areas. Call USFS (209) 795-1381.

12. Spicer south side of Highway 4 at Spicer Road, about 45 miles east of Angels Camp, in Calaveras County. Snowmobile trails and snow play areas. Call USFS (209) 795-1381.

13. Highway 108 at winter closure gate on Highway 108, six miles east of Strawberry, in Tuolumne County. Snowmobile trails and limited snow play. Limited overnight parking. Call USFS (209) 965-3434.

Here are some additional areas, not noted in the map above:

  1. Brockway Summit (North of North Lake Tahoe)
  2. Donner Summit (Accoss the I-80 road from Donner Ski Resort)
  3. Little Truckee Summit (15 miles North of Truckee, just off hiway 89) Click here for a trail map of the eastern portion of Tahoe National Forest.
  4. Sonora Pass (Go south on highway 395, then east on highway 108 for about 5 miles, until you reach the closed Forest Service gate.)
  5. Spooner Summit to Kingsbury Grade (south side of Spooner Summit. Spooner Summit is 11 mile west of highway 395 in Carson City and 12 miles east of S. Lake Tahoe on highway 50).
  6. Tahoe Meadows (1 mile from Mt.Rose Summit, off highway 431, and 7 miles from Incline Village. Click here (Tahoe Meadows Motorized Closure Map) for a general map of this riding area.

Snowmobile Trail Head GPS Coordinates
Following are the GPS Coordinates of several snowmobile trail heads. This can be useful for snowmobilers who have never launched their snowmobiles from these trail heads.

The format of the GPS Coordinate is:
Degrees Minutes Seconds, using WGS 84 map datum.

  1. Blackwood Canyon: N39 06 49.0 / W120 09 29.0
  2. Blue Lakes: N38 44 53.0 / W119 56 21.0
  3. Brockway Summit: N39 15 38.2 / W120 04 17.7
  4. Donner Pass: N39 20 23.0 / W120 21 01.0
  5. Kingsbury Grade: N38 59 47.4 / W119 53 48.1
  6. Little Truckee Summit: N39 30 14.7 / W120 16 57.7
  7. Sonora Pass: N38 21 04.2 W119 31 48.7
  8. Spooner Summit: N39 06 15.0 / W119 53 44.0
  9. Tahoe Meaows: N39 18 03.3 / W119 55 13.2

Downloadable Trail Maps

Map of Trail Heads

One of the easiest ways to see a map of the above trail heads is to go to: www.Maps.Google.com. Then copy the coordinates of the interested trail head into the search field. After entry, you can view the trail head by Map, by Satellite, by Terain and get the directions to that trail head from your home.

Other Riding Areas in California and Nevada

Please click here for list of other riding areas in the California and Nevada.

Sierra Mountain Sports in South Lake Tahoe has several maps available here.

California Sno-Park Permits

Please click here for complete information on all the SNO-PARK locations in the state of California. See below for one such sticker. Note that Sno-Park stickers are required to be place on your vehicle’s window at:

  • Blackwood Canyon
  • Blue Lakes
  • Donner Pass

California Nonresident OHV Permits

Out of state snowmobilers will need to purchase an California Out-of-State OHV Permit when you snowmobile in California. Most snowmobile dealers sell these permits. See below for such a permit. These permits are attached to the left rear tunnel of your snowmobile.